Showing posts from June, 2014

Meet Charlotte

Charlotte is a 98 year old White treadle. She is just lovely. Her details on the machine are almostly intact. She cleaned up so easily.

Oh, her cabinet is the prettiest I have seen. I love the detailed design and the way she lifts out of the cabinet is fantastic. She has a pulley system that pulls her upright as you lift the lid. No lifting for me which is fantastic as she is one heavy mama.

 I have been practicing treadling and have stitched through paper. Now, it is time for threading and fabric. I think I will start with 4-patch units. Wish me luck.

Slow Sunday Stitching: Hexie Flowers

I finally ended to take some time slow stitching. This week I finished two quilts. So, today it time to get back to some hand work. This hexie project I started nearly six months ago. How sad that I didn't even have one flower completed.

Today I have two completed and am watching The Last Ship. Hopefully, I can get a few more done. Here is the two that are finished....

Good Night Irene: a finish

Good Night Irene has been put to rest. I finished her up and presented her to a good friend of my who is having her first baby. A girl, so fitting since Irene is purples and cream.

 I spent some time working on my free motion. I made some simple leaves to go in the X's. Not bad.... I think.

New Project

Now that I only have the binding left on my Celtic Solstice to do, it's time to pick something new. I have had a stack if fat quarters that I bought last year that have a the of July theme to it. I looked around for a pattern that I could make a wall hanging for using these sweet fabric. I found a lovely block on Craftsy named, the Boston Star Block. Not an easy block to make, but not so hard that I would pull out my hair either.

I need to break Betty in some more and find her truer quarter inch. Well there's their shoot for it and it will be good. What the hell was I thinking. First it is not where I thought, second, the pattern has use size a 4 block unit down to 4 3/4 in. Let me tell you that sucked. Anyway, I got on the painter tape and marked the measurement. Now things are happy again.

Here is the progress so far....

Half-squares on a Half Shell

I have been working on these half-square triangles as a leader and ender project. Since I have added a few machines to my collection, I will continue this project on Betty Boop. I switched into a treadle cabinet for now while I work on the other machine that is going to be a total make over.  Anyhow, I got a start on putting these units together into a block of four. Wow, does Betty sew like a dream. She is really fast. Need to get that under control. More to come.

Sweet Charity Rails

What a great way to help others. This quilt will go to a great group of people, Quilts of Compassion,
is an organization that brings relief to those hit by tornadoes in the Midwest. As a Missourian, this organization brings joy to me because of their effort after Joplin, Mo., was demolished a few years ago.  This is the first chance I have had to participate in 
Hands-2-Help. I feel very honored knowing that my quilt will provide some comfort to someone in need in the future. Not that I wish for another round of devastating tornadoes, but I know that quilts are such a comfort especially in times when things look their worst. 

So, without further ado... introducing Sweet Charity Rails.....

The colors are some of my favorites......

The quilted flowered meander turned out not too bad....

Lap size quilt 50 x 54
Block Pattern - rail block

Roses are Red, Violets are...

Well, no violets in the yard, but the roses look amazing this year. I couldn't have asked for better as I got these last year on clearance. The climber is really taking off. I need to invest in a big stand and start working on get it to climb. Nothing like a yard full of blooms. So much better than the first year of the rock pile and some weeds making their debut.

Meet Betty Boop

I love Betty Boop. There is something about and image that I have always adored.

 What better way to pay tribute then to name an antique sewing machine after her. This sewing machine is a 1907 Singer -66. She needed a lot of cleaning and oiling to make her shine. Hubster put in a new motor, and the sewing test began.

The case was a complete wreck when I opened the box. I knew that it needed to be overhauled. The old material had mold and water stains, and oh the smell!!! With a minimal of tools, glue, nails and mod-podge I have a new gorgeous case.

 I love how easy it is to sew on. No grumbling when is goes over 4 layers. I think she will be a great piecing machine. Way to go Betty!!