Playing with Singles

I love spinning singles. There's nothing quicker than sitting down for a couple of hours with a bag of long wool, my wheel, and some coffee. Low twist singles are an art in itself. I start with the biggest whorl I have, 5:1 and the tension set higher so it pulls in quickly. The biggest trick is getting the twist right. Some wools are very willing to except a short draw while others require a different method.

Here, the greens and yellows is Mashum. I struggled at first with this ome because I separated the fibers too much. I ended up spinning from the fold and using a short backward draw.

Mashum

This one is Rhomney. I love spinning Rhomney. Some fleece are softer than others. This one is a little rougher, but usable for gloves or hat. I spun this one with a short forward draw.

Tuxedo Rose

Both turned out lovely after a good smacking. That's the other bit of the trick. When singles come off the knotty, they look like a wad of tangles. They need a good soak in warm water and smack them against the edge of a table or some other hard surface to make them behave. Then, hang them to dry. Sometimes I weight them, if they are still full of kinks which means they are over spun. Tricky, but rewarding when done right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Birthday Hull

Dear Gardagami