The Finish Line

I finished the last of the plying, washing, and whackin' of the yarns that I spun for the Toure de Fleece. I started this little shindig on the 5th of July and spun ever day except three until last night. Great exercise for your legs by the way. Any hoot, I completed a total of 1240 yards of usable yarn in a variety of colors. Some are destin to become something quickly as Ravelympics gets under way next weekend. While others will wait their turn simmering in the stash stew. I finished 410 yards of Dogriver for the a vest. It's a lovely earthy green-brown-blue mixture. I also have some beautiful white Teeswater that I have been working from a raw fleece 285 yards all hand washed, combed, and spun. They be more to come of this. A bamboo that I plied with thread that is sooooo soft and squishy. A lace scarf of some sort. I call it firey bamboo.




The last yarn I made was my challenge yarn. First, I never spun Targhee before and second I loved the colors so much that I wanted to Navajo ply it so the colors to shine by themselves. Also, I wanted it thin. Navajo plying essentially takes a singles and you create loops to make it 3 strands. Therefore, to get thin, means you have to basically start spinning to the point that it hard to see the thin strand and its hard to feel. Literally. There were times when I thought my hand was falling asleep because I did not feel the fiber going through my fingers. That was a little nerve racking. Anyhow, it's the lovely blues-purples there.

Comments

bockstark.knits said…
oh yes, I know that "can't feel the strand" feeling! pretty pretty handspun, great job!
Annie said…
Yes, the yarn is lovely, but Hey! What a great set of birthday presents! So sorry I couldn't come on Wednesday to make a fuss over the locks, markers and gorgeous bag. You made the bag and markers I'm guessing? I'm one lucky knit night girl. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Gardagami

The Birthday Hull

Not Much for new