Shauna's Fleece


Yeah it's done! I could have had better results, but processing a fleece is learning from the experience. I started with 3.4 lbs of very greasy fleece, and ended with 1500 plus yards of 3-ply yarn. As I continued to scour, card, and spin I got more and more consistent. I learned a ton from processing this fleece. Here's the list:

1. use Kookaburra to scour - house did not smell like a farm, and the fiber came clean in one wash and one rinse

2. learned to use a drum carder - this got better, lost a good portion of fiber due to fiber not clean enough, teased out appropriately, holding on to the fiber instead of feeding the carder smaller chunks, put fiber through twice for a better batt

3. used a WIP guide - a handy little gadget that measure wips with lines on a piece of plastic to use as your spinning. This was the most helpful thing I learned to use. My singles were much more consistent by taking a measurement often.


My plan is for something with cables. After all the purpose of spinning a 3ply is to see the cables better. I am keeping this one natural. It's so pretty.
Oh the 2 bobbins of color are the singles from the previous post.


Comments

Kookaburra said…
We are so glad you like our product. Thanks for using Kookaburra!

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Jam

A Flimsy!

Digging into February